Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Have a passion for your work

The first idea of becoming a Librarian came to my mind while i was at school, unfortunately my sister's friend had an idea to study Librarianship and she was the most brilliant girl at school. So that in a way put my idea a notch down then came the news that the University was asking for extremely high grades. How could i go there?  I asked myself.It was in fact the University of Wales, Aberystwyth. Imagine that years later I would goto that very same place to study for my Masters in Library and Information Studies. 

I guess that it is only things that dreams are made of, because after that my career took a different path. 

Often when you are young you wonder what you really want to do with your career. What is that you want to spend years studying and then put that into practice. As all of us at that age have stars in our eyes. Our interests are social and whom you meet and talk with will probably influence you for the rest of your life.

My life turned from a love of books to a love of film. Both are a form of Communication. But I guess one is static whilst the other is in motion.
Books are only static visually, once opened, they become to the reader a treasure trove of rare and unimaginable wealth and precious knowledge.  I had the idea that if i was able to make films somehow i could change the world. Most film-makers want to do this by the way. They are film-makers by day but philosophers by night.  They are closeted philanthropists who want to use their art to do good for society.

So off i went to study Communication Studies - Media Degree in my favourite part of the world...Wales. of course it rained everyday but  a little bit of rain never dettered me becuase  I had grown up in a Lincolnshire steel town, where the grey clouds hung over you persistently gloomily.

Once you step into the world of work, it seems there is no control about how or where you will work. Suddenly others have complete control. Within a couple of years I had found my self working in  a Library. Much as I loved books It was a whole new ballgame.

But in stepped my Fairy Godmother in the way of a Nigearian colleague who wispered open sesame and again i had stepped into a magical room of books and knowledge and finding things. Everyday was a fantastic magical day finding information, knowledge.

Being a librarian is like being on a treasure hunt every day.  You never know what you’ll be working on from day to day and hour to hour.  I enjoyed the fast past nature (switching from topic to topic), as well as constantly learning.  I picked up information for fun as it was like helping people–I was learning.
Now I see the role as an Educator.  My perspective has shifted over the years from being “just a librarian” who helps find information to being a teacher.  I routinely teach people how to interact with information (e.g. how to search for information, how to find it, how to legally and ethically use it, how to produce it).  I try to teach concepts that will last a life time, but address the immediate information needs of individuals at the same time.

As time went on I realised that I had a passion for finding information. For teaching Information Literacy. 

Having a profession that you love is a challenge, and if you love it with a passion it will in turn give you its due returns. I promise you!


No comments:

Post a Comment